Ever since 2017, my life has been a series of firsts. And well, for lunch today I made my first savoury oatmeal recipe and damn it was gooooood.
I’ve always been oddly reluctant to try oats mainly because as a lactose intolerant human I cannot stand the idea of packaged sweet oats with milk powder. Totally gives me the heebie-jeebies.
Now I’ve had a big fat packet of plain, no flavour instant oats sitting in my pantry looking pretty for two months. We picked it up because it’s a healthy choice but for some odd reason, I always thought making oats without milk would be hard and might taste blaah. I’ve been trying to get used to drinking soy milk, trying being the keyword, and thought one day I’ll have sweet oats like regular people.
But today for lunch, I thought let’s give this thing a try for fun when no one is watching.
So I looked up a few recipes, saw how simple it really was, decided I’m pro at this and winged it. And I’m kinda glad I did. This recipe turned out so yummy and tasty. And it was so ridiculously quick and easy to make.
I’m so stuffed right now I can barely move. It’s been over 4 hours since I ate lunch now and I feel so full. I didn’t even need to snack at 4pm!
RECIPE: SUPER GARLICY OATMEAL WITH SPINACH
What you need
2 and half handful of flavourless instant oats (I used Mornflake Instant Oat. Note I have freakishly small baby hands. You might want to put 2 small handfuls)
2-3 big fat cloves of garlic, chopped
A little oil
Half a cube of chicken stock cube (I used Knorr Chicken Stock Cubes)
1 and 1/2 cups of water
A pinch of turmeric powder
A pinch of red chilli powder
A pinch of pepper
Salt to taste (only if you need it. I didn’t need to add salt)
Handful of washed and cleaned spinach (a prep and store them in a ziplock bag in the crisper)
A small strip of sliced cheese (I cut a half-inch strip Lemnos reduced fat Australian cheese slices. Trust me a little goes a long way)
1. In a vessel, add little oil and heat it up. Throw in the chopped garlic and fry it for a minute max. Don’t let it get too brown or burnt
2. Put in 1 and 1/2 cups of water and throw in the half a chicken stock cube. Stir and make sure the cube melts well. Let the mixture come to boil.
3. Dunk in all the instant oats. Stir well. Add a pinch of turmeric, chilli powder, pepper and salt (salt only if needed). Mix well. Let this mixture cook on medium for a 1-2mins or till it water reduces.
If the water is gone and you need to cook the oats a bit more, add a little more water. Continue till the oats are cooked to the consistency you like. This won’t take too long as these are instant oats.
4. Once it’s almost done, add the spinach leaves. They don’t really need much cooking so just mix it well and leave it in for 15-20 seconds, while you stir and check for salt.
5. Take it off the stove and transfer to a bowl.
6. Cut a half-inch wide strip of a cheese slice. Trust me when I say lesser is better. It’s healthier and doesn’t make the oats too salty. Cut the half-inch wide cheese strip into smaller pieces and top it over the oats.
7. Learn from my mistake and take your Instagram photo immediately before the damn cheese melts with the heat.